1935: Founding of the Company

The engineer Rudolf Kellermann establishes "Rudolf Kellermann Fabrik für Gewindeteile" in Osterode am Harz/ Germany. With a staff of three and lacking any capital equity, he starts making bolts for the automotive industry in an old barrel factory.

1938: High-strength bolts

By this time, there are already 76 people working in this new factory for threaded parts. After major investments in new machines, the business now makes connecting rod bolts, wheel fastening bolts, high-strength bolts in accordance with standard requirements and drawings, as well as small parts for aircraft manufacturing.

1941: Quality control laboratory

During the Second World War, the factory has to produce bolts mainly for the aircraft industry. The plant is hugely expanded and the various stages of production are housed in different buildings for capacity reasons. In addition, a quality control laboratory is set up.

1945: A fresh start

As early as the summer of 1945, Rudolf Kellermann is granted a license to start manufacturing the original range of products again.

1954: Hydraulic steel cutting machine

Rudolf Kellermann develops a hydraulic steel cutting machine with his staff in order to take material samples.

1955: Second plant in Homberg (Ohm) Germany

The factory for threaded parts in Osterode Germany now has a workforce of more than 1,000 people, who process over 6,000 tons of steel to make bolts for the automotive industry. The plant reaches the limits of its capacity and Rudolf Kellermann establishes a second location in Homberg (Ohm) Germany, a factory for construction parts.

1956: The "Kellermann-Klein" formula

With Hans-Christof Klein, Rudolf Kellermann examines the "influence of friction on pre-tensioning and tightening torque of bolted joints" and devises the "Kellermann-Klein" formula, which is still the global standard for establishing tightening torques in accordance with DIN/EN/ISO 16047.

1959: Fully automatic production

The first multi-stage press, a "boltmaker" arrives in Homberg (Ohm)/ Germany from the USA. One machine can now produce 70 bolts per minute. This is the start of fully-automatic production of high-strength bolts in Germany.

1970: Third plant in Alsfeld

There are now more than 800 staff in Homberg (Ohm) Germany and the plant is reaching its limits regarding space; similar to the plant in Osterode Germany 15 years earlier. 30 kilometers away in Alsfeld, the third KAMAX location is established.

1973: The next generation

On December 13th, just a few weeks before his 72nd birthday, the founder of the company, Rudolf Kellermann, dies in Altstätten in Switzerland. The next generation of the Kellermann family has already taken over responsibility in the company and now makes sure that KAMAX remains an independent family business.

1974: Supplying the USA

For the first time, KAMAX supplies car manufacturers in the USA directly.

1980: With the fourth plant in Spain, the company starts expanding abroad

KAMAX takes over the Spanish bolt manufacturer TUSA and so starts its global expansion. The plant in Spain is today registered under the name of KAMAX S.A.U.

1986: Fully automated high-bay warehouse

A new shipping area hall and a fully automated high-bay warehouse are opened in Homberg (Ohm)/ Germany in December 1986. The new shelving system is 26 meters high and 55 meters long. Computer-controlled machines can reach any compartment via horizontal and vertical rails within one minute as directed.

1992: Fifth plant in the Czech Republic and a new development center

In the Czech town of Turnov, KAMAX builds a completely new plant, the fifth of the corporate group. In Homberg (Ohm)/ Germany a state-of-the-art development centre is opened. This allows KAMAX to stand out in the market thanks to comprehensive research and development projects.

1995: Takeover of G.P. DUPONT in the USA (plants 6, 7 and 8)

KAMAX successfully gains a foothold in America through its 100% takeover of the bolt manufacturer G.B. DUPONT in Detroit, Michigan.

1999: Foundation of "FACIL"

The third generation of KAMAX entrepreneurs establishes the full service provider FACIL (Fasteners and Connections International) in Genk, Belgium with the French automotive supplier A. RAYMOND. FACIL offers all fasteners for the automotive industry from a single source.

2002: Parts for 1 million vehicles

By this time, FACIL is operating at three locations. Products from FACIL are used to manufacture more than 1 million vehicles per year.

2004: Supplying China

For the first time, KAMAX supplies car manufacturers in China directly.

2006: FACIL with 8 locations

The success of the FACIL concept is adopted in the commercial vehicle industry. FACIL is now already operating at 8 locations.

2007: Modernization and expansion

In May the new material surface treatment plant goes on-line in Homberg (Ohm)/Germany. In the USA, the plant in Lapeer has in the meantime become one of the country's most modern, thanks to targeted investments, and is also now expanded by the addition of two large production halls.

2007: Tool manufacturing in Slovakia as the 9th production location

In November the newly built plant in Bardejov, Slovakia, is opened. KAMAX now employs more than 2,500 people, manufacturing at nine locations all over the world.

2009: Global cooperation with the Aoyama Seisakusho Group in Japan

KAMAX starts comprehensive, global cooperation with the Japanese Aoyama Seisakusho Group.

2010: Sales companies in China and Japan

KAMAX expands its commitment in Asia by establishing sales companies in China and Japan.

KAMAX - since 1935

As an independent family business we have been setting standards since 1935 - now we are doing it worldwide

You are here: Home page > Company > History

History

1935: Founding of the Company

The engineer Rudolf Kellermann establishes "Rudolf Kellermann Fabrik für Gewindeteile" in Osterode am Harz/ Germany. With a staff of three and lacking any capital equity, he starts making bolts for the automotive industry in an old barrel factory.

1938: High-strength bolts

By this time, there are already 76 people working in this new factory for threaded parts. After major investments in new machines, the business now makes connecting rod bolts, wheel fastening bolts, high-strength bolts in accordance with standard requirements and drawings, as well as small parts for aircraft manufacturing.

1941: Quality control laboratory

During the Second World War, the factory has to produce bolts mainly for the aircraft industry. The plant is hugely expanded and the various stages of production are housed in different buildings for capacity reasons. In addition, a quality control laboratory is set up.

1945: A fresh start

As early as the summer of 1945, Rudolf Kellermann is granted a license to start manufacturing the original range of products again.

1954: Hydraulic steel cutting machine

Rudolf Kellermann develops a hydraulic steel cutting machine with his staff in order to take material samples.

1955: Second plant in Homberg (Ohm) Germany

The factory for threaded parts in Osterode Germany now has a workforce of more than 1,000 people, who process over 6,000 tons of steel to make bolts for the automotive industry. The plant reaches the limits of its capacity and Rudolf Kellermann establishes a second location in Homberg (Ohm) Germany, a factory for construction parts.

1956: The "Kellermann-Klein" formula

With Hans-Christof Klein, Rudolf Kellermann examines the "influence of friction on pre-tensioning and tightening torque of bolted joints" and devises the "Kellermann-Klein" formula, which is still the global standard for establishing tightening torques in accordance with DIN/EN/ISO 16047.

1959: Fully automatic production

The first multi-stage press, a "boltmaker" arrives in Homberg (Ohm)/ Germany from the USA. One machine can now produce 70 bolts per minute. This is the start of fully-automatic production of high-strength bolts in Germany.

1970: Third plant in Alsfeld

There are now more than 800 staff in Homberg (Ohm) Germany and the plant is reaching its limits regardings space; similar to the plant in Osterode Germany 15 years earlier. 30 kilometers away in Alsfeld, the third KAMAX location is established.

1973: The next generation

On December 13th, just a few weeks before his 72nd birthday, the founder of the company, Rudolf Kellermann, dies in Altstätten in Switzerland. The next generation of the Kellermann family has already taken over responsibility in the company and now makes sure that KAMAX remains an independent family business.

1974: Supplying the USA

For the first time, KAMAX supplies car manufacturers in the USA directly.

1980: With the fourth plant in Spain, the company starts expanding abroad

KAMAX takes over the Spanish bolt manufacturer TUSA and so starts its global expansion. The plant in Spain is today registered under the name of KAMAX S.A.U.

1986: Fully automated high-bay warehouse

A new shipping area hall and a fully automated high-bay warehouse are opened in Homberg (Ohm)/ Germany in December 1986. The new shelving system is 26 meters high and 55 meters long. Computer-controlled machines can reach any compartment via horizontal and vertical rails within one minute as directed.

1992: Fifth plant in the Czech Republic and a new development center

In the Czech town of Turnov, KAMAX builds a completely new plant, the fifth of the corporate group. In Homberg (Ohm) Germany a state-of-the-art development center is opened. This allows KAMAX to stand out in the market thanks to comprehensive research and development projects.

1995: Takeover of G.P. DUPONT in the USA (plants 6, 7 and 8)

KAMAX successfully gains a foothold in America through its 100% takeover of the bolt manufacturer G.B. DUPONT in Detroit, Michigan.

1999: Foundation of "FACIL"

The third generation of KAMAX entrepreneurs establishes the full service provider FACIL (Fasteners and Connections International) in Genk, Belgium with the French automotive supplier A. RAYMOND. FACIL offers all fasteners for the automotive industry from a single source. 

2002: Parts for 1 million vehicles

By this time, FACIL is operating at three locations. Products from FACIL are used to manufacture more than 1 million vehicles per year.

2004: Supplying China

For the first time, KAMAX supplies car manufacturers in China directly.

2006: FACIL with 8 locations

The success of the FACIL concept is adopted in the commercial vehicle industry. FACIL is now already operating at 8 locations.

2007: Modernization and expansion

In May the new material surface treatment plant goes on-line in Homberg (Ohm)/Germany. In the USA, the plant in Lapeer has in the meantime become one of the country's most modern, thanks to targeted investments, and is also now expanded by the addition of two large production halls.

2007: Tool manufacturing in Slovakia as the 9th production location

In November the newly built plant in Bardejov, Slovakia, is opened. KAMAX now employs more than 2,500 people, manufacturing at nine locations all over the world.

2009: Global cooperation with the Aoyama Seisakusho Group in Japan

KAMAX starts comprehensive, global cooperation with the Japanese Aoyama Seisakusho Group

2010: Sales companies in China and Japan

KAMAX expands its commitment in Asia by establishing sales companies in China and Japan.

2013: New logistics center in the Czech Republic

To satisfy the increased capacity demands a new logistics center is established in the Czech town of Turnov Vesecko in January. It is situated in the immediate vicinity to the already existing KAMAX plant.

2013: New operation in China

In the Chinese city of Changzhou a new plant is officially opened in September. It has state-of-the-art facilities concerning building and production technology. The start of operation of this new plant in China is an important milestone within the corporate strategy.

more images